Wednesday 4 March 2009

Grudgelore

Dwarf! Dragon! Coins! Corpses! Cavern! I went crazy for detail on this piece: jewellery, tattoos, the axe, dragon scales, charred corpses.

Once submitted, Marc Gascoine at BL wanted a few changes to make it more gritty and 'Fantasy' which I was more than happy to do as Fantasy art has a different aesthetic to it than Sci-Fi. The frustratingly great thing about this is, whenever these kinds of changes are made, I've always found the result to be better than the original.

Looking back at this piece now, I feel that my technique has moved to a more painterly style - so maybe Fantasy is a genre I'll revisit at some point in the future.

Artwork (c) Games Workshop 2009. All Rights Reserved. Used without permission

Trivia:
Each coin in the piles surrounding the scene was individually modelled with a 'head' and a 'tail'.

1 comment:

Mayavan Thevendra said...

Nice work Neil! I can't get over that 'Prospero Burns' cover - it's awesome!